- Are essential oils safe for babies?Friday, July 20, 2018, 12:00 pm
Some people use essential oils, such as lavender or chamomile, to massage their baby or in a diffuser. In this article, we look at the potential benefits of essential oils for babies, as well as which ones to use and how to use them safely. People should never use essential oils on babies less than 3 months old.
- Chemicals in plastic stunt brain growth in ratsFriday, July 20, 2018, 10:00 am
A study finds that exposure to phthalates — compounds found in plastics — reduces the brain volume in rats and produces measurable cognitive deficits.
- 'Link between diabetes and cancer risk firmly established'Friday, July 20, 2018, 7:00 am
A major new review confirms that diabetes increases cancer risk, with an added warning: the risk is much higher for women, and we need to understand why.
- How long does nicotine stay in your system?Thursday, July 19, 2018, 5:00 pm
After smoking a cigarette, nicotine and its by-products stay in a person’s urine and saliva for 4 days and blood for up to 10 days. In this article, we look at whether this differs between smoking and vaping, what withdrawal feels like, and if people can affect how long it takes to clear their system of nicotine.
- Potential new MS drug could regenerate myelinThursday, July 19, 2018, 4:00 pm
A study finds that blocking the M3R receptor improves myelination in mice implanted with human progenitor cells, maybe leading to clinical trials in MS.
- Can you withdraw from opiate addiction at home?Thursday, July 19, 2018, 4:00 pm
There are many symptoms of opiate withdrawal, including shaking, chills, nausea, and diarrhea in some cases. These uncomfortable symptoms can often be relieved through home treatments until the body is entirely free of opiates. Learn more about the potential home remedies for opiate withdrawal symptoms here.
- Eighteen ways to reduce bloatingThursday, July 19, 2018, 4:00 pm
Bloating is common and can be very uncomfortable. A bloated stomach usually occurs due to trapped gas, so removing this gas is key to reducing the bloat. Learn ways of getting rid of bloating quickly, including exercises, supplements, and massage. We also explain how simple lifestyle changes can prevent bloating.
- Eating dinner earlier could reduce cancer riskThursday, July 19, 2018, 3:00 pm
A new study concludes that the timing of our final meal of the day may influence our risk of developing prostate or breast cancer.
- Diabetes: Switching to common drugs raises risk of complicationsThursday, July 19, 2018, 2:00 pm
A new study finds that switching from metformin to sulfonylureas to control blood sugar levels may significantly increase the risk of major complications.
- What are the early signs of tongue cancer?Thursday, July 19, 2018, 12:00 pm
The symptoms of tongue cancer include a painful tongue, redness, and sores or ulcers that will not heal. The exact cause is unknown, but risk factors include smoking and heavy alcohol consumption. Treatment often involves surgery, and the outlook depends on the grade of cancer. Learn more about tongue cancer here.
- Signs and symptoms of medullary thyroid cancerThursday, July 19, 2018, 11:00 am
Medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) is a rare type of thyroid cancer. The earliest sign of MTC is typically a painless lump in the neck. Later symptoms can include pain or discomfort, hoarseness, coughing, and difficulty swallowing or breathing. If caught early, the outlook for MTC is often very good. Learn more here.
- Rapid increase in deaths due to alcohol-related liver diseaseThursday, July 19, 2018, 10:00 am
Specialists are expressing concern over rising mortality due to late-stage liver disease. Most cases are caused by alcohol use, they warn.
- Chronic pain: New compound may replace opioidsThursday, July 19, 2018, 7:00 am
Researchers have designed a drug that may soon be a safe, effective alternative to opioids for treating moderate-to-severe chronic pain.
- Saw palmetto and testosterone factsWednesday, July 18, 2018, 9:00 pm
Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone. Boosting its levels can have many effects, such as promoting muscle growth and improving libido. Saw palmetto, a plant resembling the leaves of a palm tree, may boost testosterone levels and offer other health benefits. Learn more about saw palmetto and testosterone here.
- Can you have a miscarriage without bleeding?Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 8:00 pm
Bleeding is usually the earliest sign of a pregnancy loss. However, some miscarriages occur without bleeding, or bleeding may follow other symptoms. It is important to remember that new symptoms do not always signal a pregnancy loss and that the risk declines after the first weeks of pregnancy. Learn more here.
- What to know about endometriosis during pregnancyWednesday, July 18, 2018, 7:00 pm
Many women with endometriosis are able to get pregnant and deliver healthy babies, but they may have a higher risk of some complications. Some women experience fewer endometriosis symptoms during pregnancy, while others find that their symptoms worsen. In this article, learn more about endometriosis during pregnancy.
- What are the benefits of maca root?Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 6:00 pm
Maca root comes from Peru and is a common cooking ingredient in that region. Maca root may have a range of health benefits, especially for endurance and sexual health. In this article, we look at the evidence behind these claims, as well as whether there are any risks to taking it.
- How to stop shiveringWednesday, July 18, 2018, 5:00 pm
Shivering usually occurs when a person is too cold, but there are other possible causes. These include fever, stress, low blood sugar, and anxiety. Shivering generally resolves on its own, but treatment may be necessary for some underlying causes. Here, learn more about the causes of shivering and when to see a doctor.
- Olfactory receptors 'do more than smell'Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 4:00 pm
Human olfactory receptors are everywhere in the body — not just in the nose — and may prove useful in healthcare and medicine once we know more about them.
- How do you boost testosterone naturally?Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 4:00 pm
Testosterone is a male sex hormone. Low levels can cause changes to the distribution of body fat and muscle strength. Testosterone reduces with age, but people can boost it with lifestyle changes, including diet and exercise. Adequate sleep, nutritional supplements, and stress reduction may also help. Learn more here.