- How to make kefir more healthful using soundSunday, December 16, 2018, 11:00 am
Kefir is credited with a range of health benefits. Recently, researchers tried to boost levels of one of its active ingredients using ultrasound.
- Internet-based CBT effective for treating severe depressionSunday, December 16, 2018, 8:00 am
A large review of existing studies confirms that Internet-based CBT apps are an effective way of treating mild, moderate, and severe depression.
- How meditation impacts the way we learnSaturday, December 15, 2018, 11:00 am
Meditation can influence many aspects of health and well-being. Now, new evidence suggests that it also affects how the brain learns from past experience.
- Diabetes and hypertension drug combo kills cancer cellsSaturday, December 15, 2018, 8:00 am
New research finds that combining the drug metformin with an antihypertensive drug cuts off the energy supply to cancer cells and inhibits tumor growth.
- What to know about encephalopathySaturday, December 15, 2018, 12:00 am
Encephalopathy refers to a range of conditions that damage the brain's structure or function. This includes brain damage and brain disease. In this article, we look at the types, causes, symptoms, and treatments of encephalopathy.
- How can you tell when you have high blood pressure?Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:00 pm
High blood pressure causes no symptoms until it becomes severe. In this article, we discuss the myths and truths of high blood pressure symptoms. We also look at how to tell when blood pressure is too high and how to interpret blood pressure readings.
- What do brain lesions mean in multiple sclerosis?Friday, December 14, 2018, 10:00 pm
As multiple sclerosis (MS) progresses, lesions may form in the brain. With magnetic resonance imaging, doctors can use the lesions to track the progress of the condition. Learn more about the process of scanning for brain lesions, and how they might affect the symptoms and progress of MS.
- Do I have night blindness?Friday, December 14, 2018, 8:00 pm
Night blindness occurs when an existing eye condition leads to an inability to see clearly in dim light. Treatments depend on the cause but often involve managing the underlying condition. Learn more here.
- How to identify and treat snake bitesFriday, December 14, 2018, 7:00 pm
Most snakes in the United States are nonvenomous, but pit vipers and coral snakes can inject venom. In this article, we look at the symptoms of snake bites, how to identify venomous snakes, and the best treatment and first aid for snake bites.
- Is amyl nitrite safe?Friday, December 14, 2018, 6:00 pm
People often take amyl nitrite, commonly referred to as poppers, for the euphoric effects. However, taking poppers can have serious health consequences and may be fatal.
- Spray gel could reduce cancer spread after surgeryFriday, December 14, 2018, 5:00 pm
A 'sprayable gel' embedded with nanoparticles carrying drugs that boost immunity controlled tumor recurrence at surgery site and at distant sites in mice.
- IBD increases prostate cancer risk by fivefoldFriday, December 14, 2018, 4:00 pm
According to a new study, inflammatory bowel disease increases the risk of developing prostate cancer. This finding opens up a challenging clinical debate.
- How to stop bleeding on Depo-ProveraFriday, December 14, 2018, 2:00 pm
Depo-Provera is a birth control shot that can sometimes cause spotting. It is a common side effect, and there are home remedies that can help stop it. Learn more here.
- Mediterranean diet reduces cardiovascular risk by a quarterFriday, December 14, 2018, 11:00 am
The cardiovascular benefits of the Mediterranean diet are well-studied. A new paper asks exactly how this eating pattern might benefit heart health.
- The uterus plays a role in memory, study findsFriday, December 14, 2018, 8:00 am
According to a recent study conducted in an animal model, the uterus appears to interact with the brain, and its removal can affect some cognitive skills.
- Endometriosis after a cesarean delivery: What to knowThursday, December 13, 2018, 11:00 pm
Having a C-section can increase the risk of receiving an endometriosis diagnosis. Learn more about the connection between cesarean deliveries and endometriosis in this article.
- Why are my breasts sore before a period?Thursday, December 13, 2018, 10:00 pm
Fluctuations in hormones before a period are a common cause of sore breasts. In this article, learn more about why breast pain or tenderness often occurs before a period.
- What to know about rectovaginal endometriosisThursday, December 13, 2018, 9:00 pm
Rectovaginal endometriosis occurs when endometrial tissue grows around the rectum, vagina, and structures between them. Learn about the symptoms, causes, and treatment of rectovaginal endometriosis here.
- What to know about HIV false-positivesThursday, December 13, 2018, 8:00 pm
A false-positive HIV test occurs when a test incorrectly indicates that a person has contracted the virus. It can be stressful, and seeking support, taking another test, and learning the reasons for the result can help, as can taking measures to prevent contracting HIV in the future. Learn more here.
- 19 natural remedies for a headacheThursday, December 13, 2018, 7:00 pm
Headaches are a common complaint. Fortunately, there are many natural and home remedies a person can use to get relief. Learn about them here.